Sunday, June 24, 2007

A word from the Mom...

Well here it is Sunday around 9:30 pm. We are supposed to be home and excited to jump into our OWN BEDS, but as you already know we missed our first flight out of Laredo by just minutes. Trying to estimate the time to get across the border is quite the trick. About half of our group is in a hotel for the night, the other half should be home by now. Of those that are staying here until tomorrow, our spirits are up and we are doing well.

Besides this little glitch - this has been an amazing trip! Seeing Sharon at RGBI was great; that lady is a ball of fire. She is going to finish this race well. What a role model! When we first arrived in Monterrey, I was a little freaked out about not being able to communicate and feeling out of place. That lasted about 15 minutes; I decided hand motions and smiles are universal and needless to say this morning leaving Mexico I was sad to say goodbye to so many wonderful new friends. These people are so loving and have such a heart for the Lord and the lost. The work they are doing here is huge! I am so glad I was able to participate and that Bill, Danny and Jay were here too. What an encouragement they have been to our team.

I have many stories to share, but the two coolest things for me were the VBS in Matamorose (sp?) and Saturday evening eating dinner in one of the Mexican families homes. Of course I was nervous about the dinner. What will we eat, which mexican family will we be with, who will I be with from the team, what if the mexican family doesn't know English (I know zero Spanish -Gracious doesn't count). Well, the dinner turned out to be sweet! The person I was with from the team was Bill and we went to Pastor Chewy's. His wife, Bertha, doesn't speak English, but Chewy and his son, Jesse are two of the best English speakers in this group. AWESOME!! The food was good and the visit was great. The two hours went by extremely fast. Their two grandsons were there also, Steven 6, and Eric 3. Cute Kids.

The VBS really touched me because the area we were in was so poor. I have never seen anything like this!!! The kids were so receptive to anything you had to offer even if it was only a hug. Wow - it really touched my heart. I wanted to bring all those little munchkins home with us especially the little boys that played soccer. I was trying to figure out a way to get them home - my suitcase is pretty big, so I stuffed and stuffed and stuffed some more.... now you all know why we didn't get across the border.... I was trying to smuggle some little mexican boys. Hey - Danny's room is going to be empty in a few weeks when he goes away to Kirksville. You can't blame me for trying!

See you all soon. Hugs
-Donna

No comments: